Monday 17 March 2014

Inspiration

Today I found myself staring at an empty session file in Logic not knowing where to start when producing film score. As I directed the video I already knew the mood of the music I wanted to create so didn't need to go through the process of establishing that, however I couldn't decide how best to limit my sonic world (discussed in case studies) and found myself doing exactly what previous research said not to do; I caught myself browsing through several of the pre-set synth sounds in Logic.
Quickly realising the trap I was falling into I decided to give up on Logic for a while and take a break from the honours project. While speaking to a classmate over Facebook about the wall I'd hit they jokingly asked "Why don't you just copy someone else's music and pretend you wrote it?" 

This instantly led to the realisation that in order to create score I needed some inspiration. Suitable inspiration would provide me with something with which to benchmark my work. After sitting and considering what kind of score I was after I remembered the following videos: 










These videos are both suitable forms of inspiration for the film, they both centre on the desired themes of the video (melancholy and desolation) and a clearly distressed lead character. In the next couple of weeks I will try to create score using these two clips as inspiration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment